Wednesday, October 9, 2013

And.....we're off!

It is now 3:15 a.m. and we are due to shove off at 4. It was a fun last weekend home with friends and family.

This has been quite an adventure already just living in the 5th wheel for the past 4 months. It's been a lot easier than I had expected. Now we just need to get the traveling routine down as far as set up and tear down as we progress across the country.
Getting ready to hit the road was quite an eye opener. Having to secure everything in here has me thinking I will only be getting back out the bare essentials when we stop.

And The Adventure Begins....

The adventure really has begun! Our first day on the road went quite well. We left home in the dark and rain at 4:30 a.m. and arrived in Salem, OR around 11.

Our first night on the road would be spent at the Phoenix RV Park. We were early but they allowed us to come in anyway, unfortunately the GPS sent us on a wild goose chase. We ended up in tiny Starlight RV Park with one lane roads that wound around and around. The link shows a map and how the roads wound around. I thought we would never get out of there but Jay towed this beast right through it and we didn't take out a tree or car. I think it was my new angel that hangs on our mirror! Once we got out of there we found the Phoenix Park, it was great! Really clean, lots of room and really nice people. I would highly recommend it to anyone in the Salem area. We also found a tiny Chinese Restaurant, Yan Yan Chinese Cuisine that had the best food I had ever had! Everything was piping hot and fresh. The flavor was wonderful and the service was great too. So, again if you are ever in Salem you must visit this place.




We left Salem in the rain at 9 a.m. heading for Redding, CA. The trees in central Oregon were gorgeous! We passed two elk herds just before Grants Pass.
This was the second of two elk herds grazing next to I-5. I snapped it from the truck, didn't mean to get the pile of dirt!

Our little truck handled those passes like a champ! Jay was quite relieved and proud of his Chevy. This was a longer day on the road so we only made one stop at the Red Feather truck stop for fuel then we went in to the casino for lunch for about an hour and a half. I got out of there with an extra $200 in my pocket!

******************************************************************************************Just Wondering...
What is it with the Adult Shops along I-5 normally placed by truck stops. I can see the reasoning on the placement etc. but they are open 24 hours!! Can you imagine having to work at one of these places in the midnight hours!!?? Yikes!!!
******************************************************************************************

We then continued on South and stopped in Weed for our last fuel stop. I got this cool t-shirt in Weed at the Enjoy Weed Shack.

We arrived at the RV Park as it was getting dark. Again, the GPS decided we needed the scenic route and took us through neighborhoods, up hills, down hills and finally to the Park but we were heading the wrong direction. Jay was going to try it anyway and just about took out the Premier RV Park sign. We had to back out and luckily found a gravel lot to turn around in, (my angel). Once here we found the office closed but they left us a note where our site was. The guy behind us had his car parked right where Jay needed to pull the truck in to get us in here so we had to knock on his door and ask him to move. He did but seemed a little odd about it. Oh well, we got in and  settled. Here are some pics from our first day lounging around here.
 The pool at the RV Park
 Look at this Bad Boy!
Jay exploring the drainage ditch.
Tomorrow we will jump on the bikes and head up North to visit Jays aunt and her partner Jack who live at Lake Shastina.

2 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing these with us, we can retire vicariously through you guys..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to meeting you and Hubb on the road soon!!!

    ReplyDelete