On our way we stopped at Rattlesnake Springs. This is where Carlsbad Caverns get their water.
Then on to Carlsbad Caverns.
While in El Paso we visited a few boot shops. They had hundreds of boots in sizes 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9. When we got up to 10 and 11 which is what the Amazon women in my family wear...nothing! I couldn't believe it. Oh well...didn't really want to buy any anyway.
We left El Paso and headed South to Alpine, TX. We were just about to Alpine and there was a sign - low bridge 13'6" - I started to hyperventilate. I would have climbed into the back seat and put a blanket over my head but I didn't have time. At this point there was no turning around so all we could do is hold our breath and go for it, waiting to hear the AC plant get ripped off the top of MARV (Most Amazing RV). It just so happens that we made it! Whew!
It's really beautiful in Alpine with lots of green and pine trees. The Lost Alaskan park is great, very quiet and nice people. We did a day trip down through the Big Bend National Park. The weather had turned and it was raining most of the day and didn't get above 50 degrees so we were happy we had taken the truck. Unfortunately the clouds were pretty low so we didn't get to see the tops of a lot of the mountains. This park is huge with lots of dirt roads heading off of the main road, a ADV riders paradise!
We also drove up to Fort Davis and visited a few old motels in the area. Lots of artists in the small towns around the area. We spent the last day walking around the town of Alpine and getting things ready to roll.
This is Hotel Paisano in Marfa, TX where Elizabeth Taylor and James Dean did part of the Giant movie.
This is the Gage Hotel in Marathon, TX. The guy who built it died one year after it was completed.
While wandering around taking pictures we entered an outdoor bar with a huge fireplace. There in the ashes was this little guy. I was sooooo happy when he moved!!!! I would have taken him with us if I could have.
Here are some more pics from this hotel.
We left Alpine on Sunday and bee-lined it to Medina, TX. We are still here and at the moment freezing our buns off. Last night the temps got down in the freezing zone and it looks like we have a couple more nights like that. There is so much going on here I'll have to save it for the next installment. Stay Tuned!
P.S. Jay measured the height of MARV...13'5"....yeah...can we say...LUCKY!!















No comments:
Post a Comment