Sunday, March 16, 2014

The Long Road Home

Heading Home

We left Mesa, AZ today at 7 a.m. Arrived at Indio, CA around noon. The winds have been pretty strong all day today from just before Quartzite to here in Indio, seems anywhere from 30 to 50 mph winds from AZ to TX were the norm today. We are now at the Indian Water RV resort, $50/nt and they don't even have cable T.V. What a rip! The pull through site is nice, long and cemented with nice green grass all around. It's great to see the grass considering we just spent 3 months in a gravel parking lot. HA

Am I Sold On Full Time RVing?

Not really. It's not that I dislike it, I'm just not sure I like it yet. I remember when I first looked into this type of living I made a comment on a forum that went something like, "gee, it must feel like you are on a never ending vacation!" Some agreed but many disagreed and said it was just like living in your home but you are on the move. As far as vacation goes you really don't have the extra funds to 'see all of the sites' and most of the time you are doing pretty much whatever you did in your house, just in a much smaller scale. After 5 1/2 months on the road I can see both sides of the coin. It's fun pulling into a new town with all of the excitement of the unknown and getting to explore the area. But being in a place for a bit of time lends to the familiar. Familiar can be very comforting. As we were getting ready to leave Mesa the past few days I started noticing a sense of connection and a tad bit of sadness in leaving the place and the people around me. This was a bit of a surprise. I missed my family and friends back home so much and couldn't wait to get out of there but then when the time came, it was a little sad to leave.

Will We Continue to Live On The Road?

Oh yeah. We gave ourselves 2 years of full time living in the RV and we plan to fulfill that. We will head home and spend a lot of the spring and summer months parked on the space at home with the family but we plan to do some side trips of actual camping on the bikes etc. and then leave again in the late fall. I'm trying to stay open to this lifestyle. Who knows...in another 5 1/2 months I may find I love it. We have not tried boondocking yet which involves finding a spot on BLM land and staying for free without power, water or sewer connections. This requires a bit of planning for batteries, food and water as well as finding a place easily accessible for a rig our size. I will have to do some research over the summer months before we try it. I think it would be nice to have a dog if we are out in the boonies as well and right now we just are not ready to take that responsibility on again. I think in order to afford to be 'on the road' continuously you must be able to boondock because it does get expensive having to stay at various RV parks. We are lucky to have the home place to go back to and replenish the coffers. If we did not have the bikes along we would have a much smaller rig and that would allow us to stay at more state parks along the way but even those are not as cheap as they use to be. We are still in the learning phase. I can honestly say that MARV is a very comfortable home and as the days go by it is easier and easier to settle in to knowing this is home and it's OK, in fact it's more than OK, it's a grand adventure!

Next stop...Castaic, CA.

No comments:

Post a Comment