We left home at 4:30 a.m. Sunday morning the 21st of September and headed for Salem, Oregon. The only reason for leaving so early is to beat the Seattle and Portland traffic and we did. We arrived in Salem at 10:30 a.m. which is usually too early to check in at the RV parks but our spot was open so we were able to get in and set up just in time to grab a cold one and watch the Seahawks kick butt! After the game we headed for my favorite Chinese restaurant of all time - Yan Yan's. If you are ever in the area you must go there!!! How often is it that you get your meal at a Chinese Restaurant and it's still piping hot after you've had it in front of you for 15 minutes? And, it's not over cooked!! I don't know how they do it.
We got up bright and early on Monday and headed south to Corning, CA which is about 40 miles south of Redding. We stayed at the Rolling Hills RV park which is attached to the casino but it's a very nice basic park, full hook-ups minus cable t.v. (they want you in the casino gambling) and well away from the casino and only $28 a night, can't beat it! This was one of our longer days at 430 miles which takes about 9 to 10 hours. That's about my limit for distance. From here we have a short day to Chowchilla, CA where we will stay for 6 days. We are attending the Horizons Unlimited travelers meeting in Mariposa and plan to ride up around Yosemite. There have been fires there recently though so I guess it will depend on that situation whether we ride east or head west.
I'm getting back in the groove of traveling now. We have a routine down pretty well with the hooking up and un-hooking of the RV from the truck and once we are un-hooked I take care of the inside while Jay takes care of the outside hook-ups. When we first got this rig the size was very daunting for me but now it's really a piece of cake. We love our house on wheels.
I'm going to stop here for now and add some more later once we get down to Chowchilla and get some riding in.
Our adventure begins today! We have one whole day to ride and I have found some nice looking roads. We just need to get out there soon so we get back before the 90 degree weather returns so we really only have a half a day. Did I say I don't do heat??? When the temp. hits 80+ I turn into Sweaty Betty with a little bit of Genghis Khan mixed in. Not pretty!
Finally got out on the bikes today. Rode up to Mariposa where the travelers meeting is and back to Chowchilla where we are staying. We got an early start to try to beat the heat. It's still in the upper 80's today but supposed to cool off tomorrow which will be perfect. The road is pretty straight until about 1/2 way to Mariposa and then we got some nice curves. We decided to take The Old Hwy road back which was a real kidney shaker. Nice scenery but it would be a much nicer road if they would just make it gravel instead of fixing the potholes which the whole road is basically a pothole with a few inches of pavement in between.
Mariposa is a cute little gold mining town. We got quite the education from the nice little old lady at the visitors center. We will go back during the meeting and walk the streets when it's a little cooler outside.
Not even one picture. I know...lame! I promise I will do better next week after the travelers meeting. Apparently the fires are a bit farther North so Yosemite is definitely on the list of must rides! :)
thanks Kelly sounds like a perfect time. love ya Jeri
ReplyDeleteWell crap....I just wrote a nice long comment, but apparently I wasn't signed it so it vanished! Suffice it to say, I enjoyed reading your latest entry ( like the white on black- easy to read! ;-) have fun! :-)
ReplyDelete