Going back in time, we spent a week in San Diego at the San Diego RV Park in La Mesa. Overall it was a good place to be. I had three days of classes at Mission Beach and that was about 15 miles from there, mostly highway. We were right next to one of the stations to catch the trolley into town. The day we went to the Zoo we took the trolley then transferred to a bus and found our way to the Zoo. The transit system in San Diego is great!
On our way back we found a nice brewery right next to a station that would take us right back to our door step, how convenient.
On our way from the station to the RV we met a homeless man with his dog, Jack. The dog was a large grey Weimaraner and such a sweet dog. As we walked past them the man said, "I bet you don't know what kind of dog he is", I answered with my best Weimaraner answer and he was shocked that I knew. He then told me the correct pronunciation and the history of the breed. He was a rescue dog. Back to the homeless man; there is always a small sense of fear when it come to the homeless. We don't know them, are they crazy and going to jack us? How did they get to be homeless? So many questions...Jay and I went on our way back to the RV. That night I kept thinking of the man and his dog, Jack. I felt like I needed to do something but what do you do. Who knows, maybe he likes his life? Who am I to judge one way or another, he may think my life sucks. Before we left we walked back to the area we met him that first night. A storm was coming in and he had a small tent all set up under the bushes next to his grocery cart. Jay called to him, handed him some money for dog food and off we went. I know it's a fine line between crazy and 'normal', how easy would it be for any one of us to become homeless for so many reasons.
We did get a few rides in. We had a wonderful ride up to Mt. Laguna, lots of great riding roads and riding weather all day.
We also rode down to Point Loma and walked through the Fort Rosencrans National Cemetery. We looked down on the San Diego Submarine base and across from there to Coronado where Jay was stationed in the Navy.
We left San Diego and headed east for Gila Bend, AZ. The land changes so much from flat and brown to huge mountains made of rock piles and then opening up to a green valley and then back to flat. We stayed here 2 nights so we could ride to the Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument. This is where the straight line comes in...70 miles of it! Yes, the ride down and back was pretty uneventful and downright boring. The good thing was there was very little traffic, the park was pretty and it was a good day to ride. Of course as Jay says, any day is a good day to ride.
When we got back to Gila Bend we stopped in a little Italian restaurant, Little Italy Pizza, for lunch before continuing on to see some petroglyphs. If you are ever in Gila Bend or just passing by save room for a meal here!!!! It was fantastic. They make all of their bread dough and I have to say, the roll I had rivals my Aunt Sis's and she was the best!!! We've been steering clear of carbs so I almost passed up the roll but OMG, one bite and it was all over. I should have taken a picture but I was in heaven and totally forgot.
On to the petroglyphs. On the road to the petroglyphs we passed this massive solar power plant called Solana.
We rode back west 20 miles then north about 10 to find this interesting pile of rocks with so many petroglyghs. I think it must have been the library.
Oh and then there are always these signs....
We arrived in Tucson yesterday. So far we have had great weather pretty much the whole trip. It's in the low 70's here today. It does get a little nippy in the early morning hours. Jay has gone off on his bike today to tour the Pima Air and Space Museum. I chose to go for a swim and hot tub it for a while. Also got in on some local gossip as chatting with some of the gals who winter over here. They also have Pickle Ball here!!! Some day I'm going to learn that, it really looks fun. There are two hot tubs, one large and one medium. I asked my new chatty friend about the jets in the large one because the medium one wasn't that great. She said yes, they will shoot you clear across the pool in the large one. I told her I passed on that one as it was full of old men. She looked at me and said in her mid-western accent, "Well honey, I hate to tell you but that's all you will find here!" I just cracked up laughing and said I really wasn't looking for young men either and she said, "I wouldn't know what to do with one if I found one!" I think my mom would love it here!! Blurred Lines.....love that song! :)
Well, we are off to the Titan Missile Museum this afternoon so I better get off this thing. Stay tuned...

LOL! Loved the old lady comment about the old and young men! :)
ReplyDelete(Sandy Williams from FB Motorcyling RVers Group)
Nice! Is NM next?
ReplyDeleteLove,
Sylvee