Friday, June 17, 2011

Hells Canyon and Beyond...

OK, I'm trying this one again. For some reason the pictures all want to show up where they want to and not where I put them.


Apparently I wore Jay out today because he is laying here next to me snoring!! Good time to do the Blog.

It's already been a week since we were at the HC rally. We had a great time and may do it again next year.

The best part was the ride to the dam. This is where we entered Idaho so I have now officially been to four states on my bike. (:

The dam is beautiful!! Jeri, Yolanda and Arthur went on the jet boat ride up the river. They saw bears and had a blast, except for Yolanda losing her wallet in the river...but that is her story...I will stick to my own here. It did all turn out OK though in the end.






We had breakfast in Richland and it took almost an hour before we were served but well worth the wait. I swear the waitress was one of Jay's old Aunties (not you, Jeanie), I'm talking Betty type. Very sweet but waitressing is really not her calling! HA




Jays bike outside of the restaurant with a roaming gnome on his saddle bag.

We left Baker City on Sunday and Jay and I pointed our bikes South. We stayed one night in Burns, OR then on to Klamath Falls where we stayed two nights. Great riding around that area. the sun has been out every day since we hit Burns!! We rode to Crater Lake and the Lava Beds National Monument.

This pic was taken on the Hwy from Baker City to Burns, OR. Now that is a great road and a great view!! We took Hwy 7 to Hwy 26 then from John Day we took 395 to Burns.




 This was a pit stop between Burns, OR and Klamath Falls, OR. Wagontire on Hwy 395, not too lively around there at all!


The entrance to Crater Lake...no snow!




Lots of snow!!


The next day we rode to the Lava Beds. Probably one of the worst roads we had been on so far. Hwy 39 that turns into 139 in CA. Awful!!!

We did see the Wong Potato house though...not sure if Elmer Fudd owns it or what the story is....



The Lava Beds were fun to see. An Antelope made it's precense known but by the time we got stopped, gloves off, camera ready it was skipping off into the brush and I swear I could hear it laughing at us!
It was while riding around the lava beds and seeing Devils Playground I noticed a theme to this trip...Hells Canyon...Devils Playground...hmmmmmm




Here is the snickering antelope...


Jay at the petroglyphs. And yes, our bikes are officially dual sports since riding to this stop about 2 miles round trip on gravel. (:

From here we rode back to Klamath Falls on crappy Hwy 39, then up 97 to LaPine where we stopped for the night. Tonight we landed in Albany and tomorrow we head for the coast.

No comments:

Post a Comment